Fall has just begun, the temperatures are comfortable and the evenings are cool and pleasant. It doesn’t feel like it now, but soon enough the winter weather will be here with a vengeance. Help protect your property from the cold temperatures and harsh elements with some preventative work now.
While the weather is enjoyable take some time to walk around your property and assess the following:
· Clear or trim low hanging branches and shrubbery from close to your home and driveway to prevent damage to your home or vehicle.
· Clean debris and leaves out of the rain gutters to prevent water backup or freezing.
· Repair or replace unattached property such as fences, sheds or gazebos. Damaged items like these can become extremely hazardous to people, as well as property if they become airborne in high winds.
There are things inside your home that you can do also to limit problems:
· If you plan to winter in a warmer climate consider winterizing your property to save your pipes from possible freezing.
· Schedule a regular maintenance call for your furnace. Troubleshooting now may equal a low risk of fire and the possibility of loss of heat to your home is minimized as well.
· Test your detectors to ensure that your smoke alarm and carbon monoxide detector are in working order.
The change of seasons is also a good time to revisit your homeowner’s insurance to verify that everything is in line, you are familiar with your coverage and your inventory is correct. Contact us today if you have any questions or concerns with your current policy. We are happy to help ward off the storm!