David Letterman has been off the air for over three years now, but his iconic Top Ten Lists live on forever. We decided to put together a top ten list for you on auto insurance and while ours may not be as humorous as The Late Night’s host, we feel it will be far more informative!
1. What do insurance companies look at when rating for car insurance?
Pretty much everything! Your driving record, credit report and your claims history are at the top, along with the type of vehicle you have and where you live.
2. What is covered under an automobile insurance policy?
The two main parts of coverage are Liability and Physical Damage. In short, liability covers the damage you are responsible for when you cause an accident. Physical Damage covers damage to your specific car. Physical damage can be damage from hitting something or things that physically happen to your car. Policies do not cover mechanical damage-
3. Do parking tickets count as points against my license?
No, only moving violations such as speed or driving under the influence count against you.
4. What about Uber and Lyft? Can I be covered if I begin driving for them?
Not all companies are able to offer coverage. If you do decide to work for a rideshare company be sure to let me know so I can insure you properly.
5. Does my auto insurance cover a rental car when I take my car to the shop?
Yes – but only if you opt into rental car coverage or if your car is stolen and your vehicle is in the shop for accident repair and not general maintenance like brake work.
6. Can I cancel my policy at any time?
Yes, you can cancel but there may be a fee involved if you cancel in the middle of your policy term.
7. I have a red car does that mean I will pay the highest rates?
Only if your red car is a high-performance car! If you have a red minivan or a blue minivan you will pay the same minivan rate!
8. Is a police report for a minor fender bender necessary?
If there is any doubt as to who is at fault, then yes, it is in your best interest. If there are no injuries and the police response time is long, then you can exchange insurance and personal information and then make a police report later.
9. When having my car repaired from an accident will I receive original equipment or aftermarket parts?
This is something that you will need included in your policy if you wish to have original equipment. OEM coverage ensures that you will not receive aftermarket parts and if that is an important settlement option for you let me know so we can add it to your policy.
10. Should I always call Martin & Martin Insurance for all my insurance needs?
Not only should you always call us, but you should refer your friends and family also! We are here to take care of you and address all your concerns so that you wind up with the coverage that YOU WANT!